viernes, 5 de octubre de 2012

Faculty of Humanities and Economics

The Faculty of Humanities and Economics is part of the National University of Colombia, Medellín and was founded in 1975 as Faculty of Humanities. In 1997 it changed its name to the present. The social and cultural changes of the second half of the twentieth century led to the now called Medellín was created first the Faculty of Architecture and Arts, and finally, the faculties of Science and Humanities. Indeed, from the chairs that were offered within humanistic curriculum programs Engineering, Architecture and Agronomy, they shaped the Faculty of Humanities and Economics.

At its inception, the new Faculty had only one run, Agricultural Economics (now Economy), which was separated from the College of Agriculture for the effect, but that weakness in the number of races was offset by a strong presence at Headquarters Medellín through an important component humanistic curriculum, compulsory for all levels of training. The Faculty, likewise, has become academic project of social sciences and humanities at Headquarters and in the region, with the creation of racing History (1978) and Political Science (2000), and with the development of postgraduate programs of high quality. In the 1980 and 1990 programs were created MA in History, Economics, Aesthetics and specializations in Political Science, International Economics and Aesthetics, was also created in 2003 a PhD in History and in 2009 a PhD in Science human and Social.

Faculty of Agricultural Sciences

The March 23, 1914, General Pedro Justo Berrio, as president of the Departmental Assembly of Antioquia, signed Ordinance No. 11, by means of which was added and amended Ordinance No. 21 of 1911 on Education for Agriculture and veterinary, which, for various reasons, had not been fulfilled. This document laid the groundwork for the creation of the School of Tropical Agriculture and Veterinary, Medellin or surroundings. However, the ordinance was fulfilled only from October 10, 1916, the date on which academic work began at the site named Fontidueño, municipality of Bello.

Decree No. 79 of September 20, 1916, regulating that created the School Ordinance states in its Article 1: "The School of Tropical Agriculture and Veterinary, will aim to provide young people who enroll in it, knowledge and skills that put them in exercise capacity as heads of crops and spreading agricultural industry in all its branches on technical grounds, to ward off crop empirical procedures have both contributed to the impoverishment of our soil. "to accomplish this ambitious task, was appointed Dr. Eduardo Zuleta Gaviria.

As the country lacked technical, qualified teachers were brought to the United States, Puerto Rico, Cuba, France and Germany.
On April 28, 1918 were approved Ordinance No. 30, through which the School was reorganized and established a complete course of Agriculture and Veterinary four years of study, to confer the Diploma of Veterinary Agronomist. Also authorized the Board to invest in the same school, which recaudasen monies from the sale of products and services.
In March 1919, Dr. Eduardo Zuleta Gaviria retired by not getting a financial help requested. His replacement was named Dr. Juan Esteban Angel, who took office on 14 March.


The economic difficulties of the moment, made the school moved to the city of Medellin, but practices were made in Fontidueño field, where he traveled twice a week. About this time came to Medellin to provide their services as teachers of the School, Dr. Luis Tabares Clarence, Jamaica veterinarian and Mr. Goffin, Belgian agronomist.


Also got the services of Dr. Crespengher, who had been working as a professor at the School of Mines and Departmental Head of Chemical Laboratory.

The administration of Dr. Juan Esteban Angel remained until September 10, 1920, date on which he was appointed as Deputy Director Dr. Hannibal Cuartas, attorney who handled the address until July 22, 1921, when he made ​​the appointment property.


In 1922, finished his studies nine ninety-two students enrolled in 1916, who the following year received his diploma of Agricultural Veterinary, after the presentation of preliminary tests on some of the subjects covered during the four school years. The elapsed time of six years between 1916 and the date of completion of the first graduates was because the school had interruptions for budgetary reasons.


Dr. Hannibal Cuartas retired from office in January 1923. On this date back as interim Dr. Juan Esteban Angel, until 1 February 1923, date on which he took over the management of the School, General Mariano Ospina Vásquez.


General Ospina's administration lasted until March 1924 and was commissioned to succeed him as Chief Veterinary agronomist Luis Gallego Francisco Montaño, graduated in the first class of the School, who was performing the Branch since February 1923.



In September 1924, he was appointed to the Directorate, Dr. Luis Felipe Osorio, but to retire in December of that year, it fell again to Dr. Francisco Luis Gallego Montaño take charge of the school until the following April, when the which took over Dr. Jose Maria Isaza Masses.




Faculty of Sciences

The University Council in 1975 established Medellín for a new academic structure in order to provide a thorough training in Basic Sciences, Natural and Exact Sciences and Humanities and Economics, which was agreed by the creation of the Faculty of Science and Humanities and Economics Medellín.


Initially, the Faculty consisted of the Departments of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Earth Sciences. Later, in 1983, founded the Institute of Natural Sciences and Ecology-ICNE-, in order to promote interdisciplinary work. At present the Faculty has 6 schools: Biosciences, Statistics, Geosciences, Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry.


Currently the areas of analysis, statistics, Entomology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Organic Physical Chemistry, Technical Optics, Geomorphology and Soils, among others, have teachers and researchers Masters and Doctorate level of highly qualified, who maintain active links with academic peers the national and international community.

Faculty of Architecture

The architecture program at the National University of Colombia, Medellín was founded by Agreement 255 of December 13, 1946, by Master Pedro Nel Gómez, who was recognized in his work as an engineer, architect, planner and urban designer, builder, artist and professor at the School of Mines at the University.

The School is a place where education, science, research and culture, combine to provide excellent care to their audiences and build knowledge in pursuit of sustainable social development for the country and humanity.

Its activities are conducted in Blocks 24 and 25 of Medellín, where appropriate has a budget for its work: classrooms, Samuel Melguizo Auditorium, Media Library Auditorium, Habitat Documentation Unit, Media library - Virtual Station and Laboratories : Construction, Sculpture, Graphing, models, graphic arts, painting and drawing.


Historical heritage


The physical campus of the National University of Colombia at its centers, has a rich architectural infrastructure highlighted by the historic and the modern aspect of their new buildings.

In Bogotá is a historical center known as the campus or the White City, with 17 buildings that have been declared a national monument and are representative of the last 60 years of Colombian architecture. The buildings where today is the Bogotá were projected with a suburban character in 1936 by Fritz Karsen educator and architect Leopoldo Rother, representing a veritable laboratory of national architecture. Before the construction of the campus, the three faculties of the University (Mathematics, Engineering, Medicine and Science, and Law and Political Science), worked in monastic cloisters and other buildings constructed for science and pedagogy, as the Astronomical Observatory, Institute of Science and Medicine and the Faculty of Engineering.

At initial works are plus other buildings, also important in terms of the current architectural trends. This is the case of new buildings of the Faculty of Economic Sciences and Humanities.
In Medellín is a building designed by Pedro Nel Gómez where today the School of Mines. In Manizales is the former headquarters of the Cable Station Air Manizales-Ladybug, now Faculty of Architecture and Palmira in the building of the Faculty of Agronomy also designed by Leopoldo Rother.

In the border sites like Leticia, architect Santiago Moreno includes local and indigenous elements, merits that were featured in the XVI Colombian Architecture Biennale. In buildings of Arauca and San Andrés intervened architects Santiago Moreno, Armando Duque, Álvaro Pedro Neira and Juan Jaramillo.

domingo, 30 de septiembre de 2012

FACULTY OF MINES

Although it was founded in 1887 with the benediction of the national government, the National School of Mines was born from a regional Project, that is, from the aspirations of power and prestige of the Antioquia’s upper class members settled in Medellín. These people were Pedro Nel and Tulio Ospina Vásquez, founders of the Institute. Thanks to the Ospina brothers’ influence, the School would become the transmitter of the ethical and social values of the wealthiest sector from Medellín’s upper class. 

 Between 1887 and 1911, the School of Mines went through a very slow institutional development process, when it was first opened on April 11th, 1887 with 26 students; in the following years, classes must have been frequently cancelled due to the lack of organization, of budget and even to the lack of professors and students.



The political conflicts that ended in the most bloody civil war that Colombians had lived until that period of time, the Guerra de los Mil Días (1000 Days War) —1899 to 1902—, also caused the cancellation of the regular academic activities. The School was closed from 1895 to 1904. In 1906, it was annexed to the University of Antioquia, responding to a regional reform that intended to promote higher technical education across the department of Antioquia.  Its autonomy was recovered in 1911 when the School was separated from the University of Antioquia, under the direction of its rector Tulio Ospina. Just by that time, the program that would characterize the institute was consolidated, and it would allow the institute to stand out as one of the most prestigious centers of high education in the country. 


Under the direction of Ospina (1911-1921), the School intended to form “virile engineers”, able to succeed over the obstacles brought by their job. The “scientific trips” – real hiking or riding on mule adventures—contributed to this formative objective and enabled the young students to visit and get to know the different regions and richness of their country. The trips included visits to gold mines in Chocó, to the Atlantic coast, to Bogotá’s savanna, to oil champs in Barrancabermeja and to the new emerging factories of that time in Medellín. Nevertheless, the high and strict norms of conduct: those of Work and Rectitude, were the ones that inspired the students to adopt the required qualities to succeed professionally. 



Historical Trajectory *UN*


The National University of Colombia was born in the second half of the nineteenth century (22 September 1867), on the stage of radical liberal himself, when he wanted to put limits on the absolute principle of academic freedom that had allowed the emergence of many institutions shoddy university scientific and academic, to enter the state final inspection and supervision of public instruction.

It was the time that opposed the scholastic orientation then dominant new trends in the field of scientific method that had, among other actors, the former Rectors of the University, and Manuel Rojas Ezequiel Ancízar. In the atmosphere of Regeneration, the University was demonized for having erected, true to its mission, as a stage of critical ideas, and accused the causality of political instability and social unrest that surrounded the process of the new Constitution of 1886. 

As a result, the University returned to the direct control of the State, and lost both their limited autonomy as their academic unit. However, the idea of ​​the university remained proclaimed by those who, like Rafael Uribe Uribe, should always be considered that national, modern, contemporary and evolutionary, experimental and unifying.

Years later, in the twentieth, the University responded by collecting the ideals of the university movement of Córdoba, to be reborn with new impetus under the Liberal Republic, thanks to the guidance of the interventionist conception of the state and the leadership of President Alfonso Lopez. And under the conception that it was taken in 1935, with the settings and adjustments made ​​in 1963, 1980 and most recently, in 1993, that the University has historically been very closely linked with the constraints is always imposed, access to the lower strata of higher education quality, reception activities, processing orders and creation science, technology and art, the study of the problems of the national community, and critical reflection on their emergency heartfelt.